When I was in middle school, I loved the movie Reign of Fire and thought that dragons were awesome because of their mythological merit. Every year from then until I came to college, anytime anyone in my famly saw a dragon, they purchased the item and stored it away until a gift-giving occasion.

My family loves to do a little gift-giving typecasting. For my mom, it's angels. My one cousin, elephants; another, pigs; yet another, monkeys. My uncle, firetrucks or Elvis. My aunt, snowmen. I could go on, but you get the picture.  According to handy-dandy Wiki, typecasting is "the process by which an actor is strongly identified with a specific character, role, or trait".  Most actors fear being typecast because it pidgeon-holes them into a box from which they can never escape. For the most part, my family embraces their recieving roles; as they are typecast because they generally respond favorably to their gifts.

I, on the other hand, was never a huge fan of the process. When I was little, I was typecast according to my favorite color. By the time I was in fifth grade, I vowed to never wear purple again because I was so sick of seeing it. Over the years, I have lost my affinity for skulls, dragons, Harry Potter, skateboarding and basketball.  You see the trend?  Like most actors, I have never been fond of being labeled and pidgeon-holed.

Interestingly enough, my family's gifts for me have developed a new theme in this whole typecasting process. This time the stereotype is one that I can't help but smile about and embrace. I have now been typecast as the token Christian, and about a third of my gifts are some sort of trinket with a cross or a verse on it.


[An aside: a close runner up in themes this year: my car! Mighty Mouse is still off the road; she needs a new transmission... but when she's powered up again, she will have some style and accessories. =] .. yay! Not to mention, people have generously been giving time, resources, and money towards getting her back on the road. Hopefully, she'll come back to DC with me before the semester starts.]

 Typecast as the Christian. Hmm, can't think of anything better to be labeled. After all, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Gal: 2:20)

Though, I must also say that I do not feel worthy of such a label. My desire is that people see the reflection of Jesus in me, but I am not quite there yet. Since I have already been typecast the role and chosen as more than an actor but a co-heir with my King... I need to continue to grow and develop into that character, the character of Christ. Only the real clincher is: this isn't at all an act or a fad that will fade away- It's who I am, who I was meant to be. 

This time I don't mind being pidgeon-holed. Let them "label me a Jesus freak. There ain't no disguising the truth"  The truth is that "You are the only thing that’s beautiful in me". And, I am so grateful that others see that You, Jesus, are the most important thing in my life and the only thing that is sure to bring a smile to my face.  =]

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Facebook
  • Tweet It! Share On Google Buzz !