"Hello, angel of God here. Don't be freaked out or anything... but God has supernaturally impregnated you.  He kinda likes you, and wants you to be the momma of his son- well actually, his word incarnate who will atone for the sins of the entire word. No worries though.  You won't have to sleep with a man; the kid will just pop out because God put him in there. And, your cousin is having an unexpected kid too. See, it's all good, God can do whatever He wants." - A kpaxian paraphrase of Luke 1:26-37

When I read the account of Gabriel talking to Mary, I cannot imagine what it would be like being on the receiving end of that message.  I can honestly say that I would have freaked out.  "You want me to do what?!? Nope, there is no way I am risking my engagement to endure nine months of pregnancy  and the judgmental looks of everyone and their brother.. and without ever having sex." Actually, I am pretty sure that my words would have been a little stronger given my track record of fighting with God.

Yet, Mary responds completely differently than most of us would. She doesn't fight, she doesn't resist, she doesn't even question. She simply says: "I am the Lord's servant,""May it be to me as you have said." (v.38)


Wow, now that is an attitude to emulate. "Okay God, whatever you want, I'm game. Just make it happen". Not only does she embrace her calling, she rejoices in her role in God's plan. A few lines later, Mary sings one of the most well known songs in the Bible- The Magnificat:

And Mary said:
   "My soul glorifies the Lord
    47and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
,
 48for he has been mindful
      of the humble state of his servant.
   From now on all generations will call me blessed,
    49for the Mighty One has done great things for me
      holy is his name..."
 Needless to say, I am always amazed at Mary's response. However, the verse that I believe reveals the most about her character comes later in Luke 2:19

The Shepherds are marveling over her child, people are talking about how great he will be, and everyone in the stable is in awe of this infant. After months of being gawked for an illegitimate pregnancy and migrating for a census while pregnant, Mary finally gives birth and now everyone is crowding around her child.

Without any mentioning of her angelic visitation or her cousin confirming her supernatural experience, Mary simply "treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart"(v.19).


"she said nothing of them to others, lest she should be thought an enthusiast, or a vain boaster; and therefore left things, till time should make a discovery of them in a proper way, and in the best season." - Gill's Exposition.

She left things in God's hands- His plan for her life and the glory of the plan coming into existence. As an external processor who loves to share stories, I am incredibly challenged by this verse. 

Mary leaves me baffled and challenged with three things to consider. 
  1. Being God's servant requires instant obedience and a willing heart. And, sometimes that means no questions asked, no reluctance, and no second thoughts.
  2. Being used by God is a privilege that we should rejoice in and embrace. Furthermore, Mary's rejoicing was not self centered in that she did not rejoice because God used her, but because he was using her to build His Kingdom. Mary rejoiced for all of Israel and the world that would be saved because of her son. She rejoiced because of work that was going to be done by God through her not because of her privileged role.
  3. Being in a relationship with God means that we should honor Him in all that we do, and that honor sometimes means holding on to His promises until He finishes the work He has begun. Everything has a time and purpose, and God knows what is best and has perfect timing. An intimate relationship with Him may sometimes mean a rather lonely existence because some things are meant to be treasured and pondered alone within our hearts.

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Facebook
  • Tweet It! Share On Google Buzz !