The night rounds start around midnight and go until four or five in the morning. We go out in twos, armed with a bag full of bibles, first aid and vomit cleaning supplies, water, lighters, and prayer cards. Some shifts out involve walking a drunk person home, some are messy, some involve rides in the vomit wagon, but others just involve conversations and prayer with people. Generally long conversations happen on slower nights. Wednesday is normally a busier messier night, but last Wednesday, my second to last night on the island...I had both a busy night and a good long conversation.

His friend stopped us to inform us that we would need the wheel chair later that night to take his buddy home. His mate was celebrating his last night on the island, and seemed smart enough to not drink himself into a stupor. After sharing that I was also leaving soon, we began discussing why I came to Ibiza. Which led to how I decided to enter into ministry and why I became a Christian. Then the conversation shifted to how we can help people in the areas we live in and then back to how to find authentic Christians. Then he confessed to me that he once believed and could no longer... that he felt like God had abandoned him.. that he had no purpose in his life because he had missed his opportunity already. The questions that followed included: "Why doesn't God answer my prayers? How can I hope for a purpose when I already messed that up? Does God even know me? Is it possible that He forgot to give me a purpose, that some people are useless? Why do bad things happen if God cares? How can He forgive us for those bad things that we do, for the missed opportunities?".  Question by question, I tried to my best to relay what I know to be true.. in summary: "Jesus loves you mate. He knows you. He has a purpose for you. I don't know why you feel like He is far off. I understand it though, I've been there and felt that...but I challenge you to give God a chance again. With a sincere heart ask Him to reveal Himself and He will. Matthew 7:7, a life verse for me. Can I pray with you, that it would be your life verse too. That you will continue to seek God and find Him?

Our willingness to stop allowed God to use me to speak some words of truth and encouragement into the life of a prodigal son and to share my testimony with him. Awesome, and I know his name and bits and pieces of his story.... which means I can continue praying for him. Here is to being willing to slow down, even on the busy nights, and take the time to listen to and talk with others.

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Facebook
  • Tweet It! Share On Google Buzz !