" -They don't?
-No. They've got better things to do.
-Take it from me. A very good sign that you're crazy is an inability to ask the question, "Am I crazy?"
-Even if the answer is yes?

- Crazy people don't ask, you see?"
I love the movie Proof, and also refer back to it when I feel like I am losing my mind. The character in the movie's greatest fear is going crazy, and she is constantly asking herself if she is losing her mind. My greatest fear is not insanity per se. My greatest fear is that my relationship with God is a figment of my imagination. What if I am making up this stuff? What if I later discover I have been sinning against God every I attempt to glorify Him?

My greatest fear is becoming one of the false prophets, teachers, and preachers in the Bible. I am terrified of becoming the person described in 2 Peter 2.
1But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves.... Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings; ... 12these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will perish...

17These men are springs without water and mists driven by a storm. Blackest darkness is reserved for them. 18For they mouth empty, boastful words and, by appealing to the lustful desires of sinful human nature, they entice people who are just escaping from those who live in error. 19They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity—for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. 20If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. 21It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them. 22Of them the proverbs are true: "A dog returns to its vomit,:..."

I'm pretty sure that my fear of becoming this is the very thing that will ensure that continually surrender to God.. A holy fear is a necessary component of a healthy faith. The one who is not afraid of screwing up his relationship with God may be the one who is actually farthest from God. After all, Paul does tell us to "continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose."(Phil 2:12-13) . Let's play substitution here with the Proof quote. Those who are false prophets and false teachers and making themselves their own gods don't sit around wondering if they are following God and asking others if they are on the right path. They have better things to do than to cry out in prayer and beg God to correct them if they are wrong. A good sign that I am following God is the ability and desire to constantly ask God "am I following you God?".

If we spent time asking God if we are following Him, asking Him to show us how to be sure to follow Him...His word clearly says that He will answer our prayer and guide our steps. The very hand that penned the verses that terrify me, also writes:"

"make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.

10Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, 11and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." (2Peter 1:5- 11)
If I am making every effort to try to increase my relationship with God and continually asking Him if I am walking in the right directions, I can never fail. The fact that I ask the question is my election sure and search for the answers to make sure I am on the right path, means that God will never let me fail. And if I stumble, He will drag me back to the place of surrender.

It is the questions that we are too confident in or unwilling to ask God that should send up red flags... as I search my own life looking for these hidden areas. I ask you, have you asked if you are crazy lately? =]

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Facebook
  • Tweet It! Share On Google Buzz !