"Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me! "

One of my favorite Bible verses.... Matthew 7:7... also the concept is repeated in Luke 11:9. It has had great impact on my life- even more so recently, and being that it was just referenced in the XA newsletter.... I feel the need to comment on it a bit.

The basic point = Ask and you shall receive; seek and you shall find; knock and it will opened to you. The concept is that if you desire, God will fulfill. The misconception is that God will fulfill our every desire. The problem is that not all desires are godly, not all questions are deserving of answers, all who seek are not looking for the right things or for the right reasons, and we don't always knock on the right door. The second concept in this passage, in my personal opinion, is the idea that if you put your trust in God- if your heart is truly focused on Him and His will when you ask, seek, and knock.. He will provide because He is faithful.

I was asking and seeking and knocking for quite awhile. The frustration of not receiving, finding, and seeing doors open was actually leading me away from God. Instead of focusing my heart on His will... I was focusing my heart on the material manifestations and/or the instant gratification that I wanted to see. I was not trusting God to provide for me. I mean I accepted that everything happened for a reason and that God knew best, but I wasn't happy with it.. I wasn't necessarily submitting or obeying or anything like that. I was just frustrated with the lack of result. My approach was"The Bible says if I ask, I'll receive. Well, God I'm asking... when will the receiving begin?"

My heart was in the wrong place. If I would have opened my eyes and my ears to the Lord, I would have seen that He was providing me with exactly what I needed throughout my life. He was opening doors, but instead of running through them... I was standing at the edge and He was shoving me through as I was kicking and screaming in resistance. Now, I stand corrected. Now, I understand... but I only have that clarity because I focused my heart on God and His will.

My simple prayer was "God show me things as they are, not as I want them to be or I was taught that they were..... Show me Your will, draw me closer to You... on Your terms not mine". That was it. A simple prayer. Asking for reality, for relationship, and for God's will to unfold. When my heart changed focus.... the meaning of my favorite passage did as well.

I asked... I received answers. I have sought, and I have found. I have knocked, and the doors have opened.. and this has been occurring my entire life. I just now realize it. Now that I ask, seek, and knock focusing on God... things are different and I can only smile in response to the results.

So keep on asking, seeking, and knocking.... God is listening. He is faithful and He will provide... but He responses based on His will -fore He knows all and we know nothing- when you think the answers, findings, and doors aren't there. You are looking in the wrong places for the wrong things.... because God will provide all that you need....

He has for me. He has shown me even in times where I was looking away from Him and seeking earthly gratification rather than a relationship with Him and spiritual growth. I am extremely grateful for His faithfulness.

"Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside! "

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Facebook
  • Tweet It! Share On Google Buzz !