Credit: A. Garcia, via wikicommons
After one last  scan of the alleyway below,  my frustration declares "He's not here yet. He should be here.... we really need to leave, it's getting dark." As I pace around the tiny office, I try my best to hide my concern. It's a feeble attempt.  The young couple I work with offer to walk me to my car; they insist that I head home before nightfall. I try to resist, but then I remember that they have lived here much longer than I... so we trudge down the stairs and through the streets.  After ten minutes or so of navigating through the narrow alleyways, remnants of the afternoon markets and crowds of people making their way home,  I unlock my car and turn to bid my companions a good night. Then, I realize that I left my laptop in the office. I need that laptop! Not only do I need to do work on it, but I need to protect its precious contents. My friends are running late for a meeting, but ask their son to accompany back to the center in exchange for a ride home. Fair enough. 


I double park in a plaza nearer to our building, give their son my keys and ask him to run in and fetch the messenger bag with my computer. He's a trustworthy kid, so I'm not concerned. As he hops back into my car, another local teenager jumps in. My stomach sinks, I know this isn't good scenario. My friends' son knows the boy and insists that I should give him a ride home too, but my discernment tells me that something is wrong. I have this odd feeling that the unfamiliar kid is going to steal my computer, at the very least. And, its getting darker.  I  have to start driving because it is dangerous to sit idle in the streets, so I agree to take him home, but first insist that I try to get ahold of my missing man. I call his local mobile, no answer. I call his US mobile, no answer. I call the man from headquarters that he was meeting with earlier, no answer. "Where is he?  He is late... and I really need him right now... and its not like him to not show. Is something wrong? Does he need my help?" My ominous gut feeling increases... and then I wake up feeling like I'm going to puke.


I had this dream a few nights ago, and I can't get it out of my head.   As dreams often do, this one seemed to give me a little more insight into my psyche.  Noteworthy aspects of this particular dream. 1) The location... definitely the impoverished third world,  warmer climate but not sure on what continent -the people were darker complected than I am but not quite "black", and I was clearly doing international development and missions work. 2) The missing man... mostly certainly was my significant other.   I knew him well, I cared for him, I feared for him, and I definitely loved him. We were partners in both life and ministry. 3) The organization... the Christian aspect of our work was somewhat secretive. That is why the computer was so vital and why my fear was legitimate. We were doing development work, and trying to train leaders in the underground local church. 4) The dream... this didn't feel like a normal dream. It felt like reality.. and definitely felt like God.  


I'm not reading into it too much it. I'm actually trying to forget it because I am trying to focus on the here and the now and the  reality of the present. Even so, I am thankful for dreams because I truly believe that dreams can give valuable insight to our lives.  


You might be wondering why I am sharing my dreams in a blog.  Well, I'm not sharing it as much as I am publically recording it for my  own reference later.  Perhaps this is God giving me some a taste of what is to come.  Or perhaps this is a silly subconscious fantasy that will prove laughable as I reread this entry at a later date. For now though, its just a dream and I am living in the reality of the present, trying to serve God the best I can.  This is  entry is me taking note, and moving onward... for now. 

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Facebook
  • Tweet It! Share On Google Buzz !