One look at the church bulletin and I started laughing to myself. My brother, confused, asked what I was mocking in the announcements... nothing. It's nothing... o but it is everything. I'm home for one church service, attending Pentecost Sunday in my old fashion Lutheran Church. The beauty, the irony, the purpose...

I found myself missing a church that I had been attending in DC.. I found myself missing the singing, the band, the freedom to move and to reach out, to kneel, to speak... i found myself seeking a charismatic worship style. Awkward, since I am the spokesman for the importance of tradition... a good hymn melts my heart.. yet this morning, I really wanted to sing Song of Hope...

Pentecost Sunday, as I remember it growing up, normally consists of acknowledgment of the birth of the church, scripture readings in accordance with the liturgical calendar, a sermon on the importance of church involvement.... and no further explanation. Generally, the Holy Spirit is played down and not really explained... so Pentecost remains a mystery that no one discusses.

In fact, the first time I remember hearing the season explained was at Lutherlyn during confirmation camp.. and I remember being fairly confused. Actually, I think I remained fairly confused until I sat through an information session on the Holy Spirit early this year. I reread the scripture and it finally makes sense to me... the first time I truly understand the significance of Pentecost, I honestly find immense joy in celebrating it, and I am back in my home church where we don't discuss it.

However, we have a new temporary pastor, and this pastor was different than most I have met. My mam told me that she told the congregation that God is trying to use her to speak to our dying church, to return it to theological truth, and to revive the congregation. After hearing her preach, I believe it. This little old lady is definitely a blessing to my church, even if they don't realize it yet.

She emphasized all the right points that no one touches upon in my church. She focused on edifying one's personal relationship with God for the purpose of fulfilling the commission that we were all given. She used scripture with contextual accuracy, she incorporated prayer with highest regard, and she even hit upon the Holy Spirit topic by mentioning that we should celebrate the unity that comes with everyone having access to one heavenly language. I only smiled because I know that she has God's touch upon her life and her calling in this small town, and while no one else in the service may have realized what she was referring on this Pentecost Sunday or that she feels like she is called to attempt to revive the church... I smile because I know.

To add to the smiling, the pastor added an additional section to the prayers of the church portion of the service today. She prayed a quick line for anyone who was considering pursuing a religious vocation would receive guidance and discernment as they begin that journey. It was an unusual format and topic, that didn't flow with the rest of the prayers of the church... yet it stood apart and struck a beat in my heart.

My heart is trying to find a place where it belongs...

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Facebook
  • Tweet It! Share On Google Buzz !