I'm slightly hesitant to admit this, but I just cried saying goodbye to my car. Tomorrow morning a couple is coming to haul it away for parts/scrap. My beloved '98 Hyundai Accent, affectionately known as  Mighty  has run out of steam. Or mechanically speaking, his engine is blowing out and has began leaking oil into the radiator. I always joked that I love that car like it is my child, and tonight I find myself mourning its departure.

As I wiped tears away while sitting behind the steering wheel one last time, I realized how inaccurate that statement was. I do not love that car. The car, though it has a name, is only an object. I can love it, but only as much as one can love a material thing. What I am mourning is not the loss of a hunk of metal on wheels. I am mourning the departure of an object symbolic of God's provision, of a dozen or so major life lessons, of hours of prayer on road trips, of long conversations with great friends, of every opportunity I had to bless someone by picking up something or offering a ride.... the car is just a symbol. And the things it reminds me of are not really going anywhere. Or at least they don't have to.

From the dreams I had encouraging me to buy the car onward, God has been using that tiny thing as an object lesson in my life. I purchased the car hoping it would be a blessing to others, and it has, but it has also blessed me more than I could have ever imagined.  And, I know that there are more blessings ahead- both in my life and through my life.

Mighty has seen better days.
As I am in a season of life where I find myself questioning lots of things as I ponder my next steps, I feel like once again this car is symbolic object lesson. As I am trying to figure out how to transition and what to transition to, I find myself saying goodbye to an old source of comfort and security. And, I realize that just as I am dreading saying goodbye to the old, that nothing really changes because God is constant- which means that the new has lots to teach me and many memories to create...  and a new car has already been provided.

So, goodbye Mighty.  Thanks for playing a role in teaching me about prophecy, spiritual warfare, and community. Thanks for all the laughs and for all the humility. Thanks for all the roadtrips and all the memories. May you be recycled well. You will not be forgot.

My two cars: old and new.
Hello unnamed  98 Mustang that I acquired this week. Please do not break in any way shape or form in the near future because I hope to invite many people to travel in you. Thanks for being a powerful little beast, and for having a better stereo than my last car. I can't wait to see what God has in store for you, especially since I hate Mustang drivers and you were the cheapest, best, and least driven car that I could find. I look forward to getting to know you and to learning how to use you efficiently.

Finally, thanks Father God for always finding ways to teach me and to care for me. My amusing little attachment to my vehicle reminds me of how evident you are in my life. I trust that you will continue to provide, and I thank you for the opportunity to take a step of faith by purchasing a new vehicle. Please protect my heart from treating material possessions and memories as idols, and continue to remind me that you bless me so that I can in turn be a blessing to others. Please protect me when I am behind the wheel, and help me to surrender the driver's seat in my own life. In this period of transition, I invite you to take control and to teach me and to use me once again. I thank you for the Mustang and for your sense of humor... as I offer this new vehicle to you, for your service... I, once again, offer myself to you, for your service as well.

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Facebook
  • Tweet It! Share On Google Buzz !