Sunday was everyone's favorite weekend at church: the annual "giving" sermon. I've heard it before, and it always seems like common sense to me. 

"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. " - Luke 6:38
It's a privilege that I value, but often over look. This year, I feel convicted to add a practical application to make the promise of Jacob my covenant with God in my own life. 
"...of all that you give me I will give you a tenth." - Gen. 28:22.
"Of all that you give me" has stuck with me.  I generally don't find that I have an issue giving my finances to God, but all too often fail to apply the same giving concepts to the rest of my life.

If I am giving God a portion of everything He gives me,  then maybe I should intentionally tithe my time as well.  After all, God gives me life on a daily basis- every minute of everyday. Why not give at least 10% of my time to Him as well? Just to Him; not to Church, not to His people... but to God and God alone.

God gives me 1,440 minutes a day. If I gave Him just a tithe of my time, that would be 144 minutes a day devoted to God. That's less than 2.5 hours. I bet I spend more than that online checking my email, facebook, blog reel, and all those 'necessary' sites.  If God is the most important thing in my life, shouldn't He have the first fruits of my time as well? 

Truth be told. I'm not a morning person, so I'm not interpreting firstfruits in a literal sense- 2.5 hours starting at 6 am would not be the best time for me to meet with God. But what if I intentionally spent the first and last moments of my day with the Lord?

By my birthday, January 27th, I want to be in a position to begin seriously tithing my time to God. Let's make this a one year commitment:  2.5 hours a day for God alone, starting and ending my day with focused time with the Lord.

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Facebook
  • Tweet It! Share On Google Buzz !