I have been meditating on one question for the last few days. Before I share the question, allow me to provide one sentence of context: while I don't regret it, I wouldn't get my lip pierced again.  With that said, this is what keep asking myself:

If a little shard of metal in my lip is this uncomfortable, how much more uncomfortable would it be to be impaled with spikes through my wrists and feet, nailing me to a cross?

"But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. " Isaiah 53:5
I sometimes wonder if Jesus would die on the cross again after experiencing the pain of crucifixion and the pain of awaiting His return for over two millennium.  The answer is simple. Absolutely, He knew exactly what He was doing and knew it would be totally worth it because He sees the beauty beyond the healing.


updated: It has been brought to my attention that this post may sound like I got the piercing in order to experience pain or that the pain may be a direct way of relating to Christ. Neither sentiment was my intention. This isn't about self mutilation in order to relate to the cross or directly comparing my pain to Jesus' suffering. I did not get the piercing for those reasons, and you can read my previous post to read why I did get it. The simple fact of the matter is whenever I experience pain, I remember the suffering of Jesus on the cross for me. And this current lip discomfort oddly enough has had me reflecting upon the crucifixion quite often.

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Facebook
  • Tweet It! Share On Google Buzz !