I just finished reading Alicia Britt Chole's Anonymous. The book looks at the importance of the years of Jesus' life before His public ministry.  The overall premise is simple: don't discount the seasons of life that seem unexciting or deserted; it is in those seasons that our character is developed and we are prepared for the moments of life that define our purpose. 

It's a quick read that offers a welcoming reflection of what it means to live life in the present.  Such a reminder is needed because I definitely feel like I am in an anonymous season of life.

My current existence is no where near what I believe God has purposed for my life. Truth be told, I am anxious and unsatisfied. I know God has great plans for my life, and I'm impatiently waiting for them to come to fruition. What Alicia reiterates over and over again in her book is that the character developed in the preparation seasons of life is a necessary qualifier to the moments of public ministry. Jesus resisted being tempted by Satan in the wilderness because he had spend years growing and maturing in preparation for his ministry and sacrifice.

To share the same sentiments through a more familiar metaphor, no athlete performs well in a televised game without first performing well in practices beforehand. While performance in the game is all that is recorded in the score book, no serious athlete goes into a practice session aiming to perform with mediocrity. And, no devoted athlete is content with the status quo; they are always trying to improve their skill set.

Thank God that I am in the anonymous season. I know that this isn't the big moment in my life, but I also know that I can do my best while I am here and strive to be better.  To continue the sports analogy, this is the season to develop my presence on the court and to strengthen my skill set. When the ministry I was destined for does come in due time, I pray that the preparation and growth that I am undergoing in this season of life will enable me to be led by the Holy Spirit, to exhibit Christ's character, and to give all the glory to God.

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Facebook
  • Tweet It! Share On Google Buzz !