I did not finish another book today, but I did watch a movie worth noting. =]

Joyeux Noel is a film depicting the 1914 Christmas truce through the eyes of Scottish, French and German troops. Though I'm not a huge fan of most Christmas movies,  I'd highly recommend watching this one.

To avoid spoiling it, I won't say too much. Can I  share a few quick thoughts?
  • These types of truces would never happen today because humanity isn't trudging the trenches on the front-lines. How has the lack of face-to-face interaction in battle effect the way the world approaches warfare?
  • A Scottish priest volunteers a stretcher-bearer. After the truce, he is reprimanded by a higher clergyman for not following God's will, who proceeds to preach a sermon declaring the battle a crusade. Why is it that we justify every battle with God's will? When does God actually will war?
  • The German commanding officer who helps initiate the Christmas truce is Jewish. It's ironic how much he devoted to a military that nearly wiped out his ethnicity and religion. How is it that we can so quickly and passionately turn on those who have been loyal to us?
  • The things that unified the troops are the things that unify demographic groups today: food, drink, family, mourning, music,  and a little game of football. How can these common joys of life be used to promote more peaceful relations?
  • Towards the end of the movie, the French officer ensures his general that the troops will never talk about the truce- not because of shame- but because no one would believe or understand it. How would things change if we would talk about those things that were revolutionary in our lives that we believe no one would believe or understand? 
Also, the film features a song called "I'm Dreaming of Home". I love the lyrics, and feel like they are definitely appropriate for this film and life in general.
"This is no foreign sky
I see no foreign light
But far away am I
From some peaceful land
I'm longing to stand
A hand in my hand
...forever I'm dreaming of home
I feel so alone, I'm dreaming of home"

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Facebook
  • Tweet It! Share On Google Buzz !