Once again, I'm sitting in Psych of Religion class daydreaming about seeing the moves of God that the professor is analyzing, criticizing, mocking. Earlier this week, we looked at the psychology of demonic possession and spiritual warfare. Today we are discussing faith healing and prayer. Everything the professor says is going in one ear and out the other. Instead of listening my mind is elsewhere. On an adrenaline rush. What if our campus saw these things? What if we saw demonic oppression lifted and people healed? Would the professor believe in Jesus then? Would those in my class who are snickering take a little more time to consider the possibility that this supernatural expressions of God's power do actually happen?

"These people think that they are vessels of God. They think that  God's power flows through them to touch others. That's why they believe this.  For some reason, people believe prayer works." Damn straight professor,  we are vessels. God's power  does flow through us, and prayer does move mountains. It is true. I believe it. I've seen it. Unfortunately, I don't act like it.  What if we acted like we believed God is who He says He is?

Class has transitioned to kinds of prayer; our professor is explaining the different ways religious folk pray and camping out in the controversial nature of intercession. "You can't prove that it works, prayer just helps the prayer". What if he saw an answered prayer, would he think differently? Would he still tell his classes that this is all merely psychological? What would happen if my classmates saw that it isn't  just in our heads? What if they saw a real movement of God before their very eyes on our campus?

My excitement contemplating the possibilities is also breaking my heart. My class doesn't know that God loves them, that He died for them, that He gave them eternal life if only they would call on His name, that He left His Spirit to comfort, counsel, guide until His return. They laugh and mock because they don't know Jesus, and that makes me want to cry. So I sit in class, half listening with both an adrenaline rush and teary eyes. I can't convince my class that God is real and active.... but He can.  Oh, what if... just what if...what if His people prayed and He moved? On this campus? In our city?

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14


 "What if the armies of the Lord
Picked up and dusted off their swords
Vowed to set the captive free
And not let satan have one more

What if the Church, for heaven's sake
Finally stepped up to the plate
Took a stand upon God's promise
And stormed hell's rusty gates"
- Casting Crowns, What if His people prayed

Spurgeon  once said" prayer itself is an art which only the Holy Ghost can teach us. He is the giver of all prayer. Pray for prayer- pray till you can pray". Lord, I pray  for prayer. I pray that we would pray until we really know how to pray for this campus. I pray that we would pray the prayers that you want us to pray and that your Spirit would move...

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Facebook
  • Tweet It! Share On Google Buzz !