Yesterday, my group of students volunteered at DC Central Kitchen. As three of us were elbow deep in chicken grease, carving away at dozens of carcasses fresh from the rotisserie... a man named Michael who is a student in DCCK's recovery/job program.... joined our table. The first question he asked, "Are you Christian?" The girls with me explained that they were on a mission trip and that I was their host in DC. He told us his story- he found Jesus in prison, was empowered by the Holy Spirit to enter recovery, and desires to work with prison ministry to lead others to Christ. I was encouraged and blessed by his testimony. Michael then had a series of questions for me... "What is your role in the Church? What are your spiritual gifts? How has God prepared you through your past for your future? What is your explanation of the hope of Christ? What do you think God calls us to do? How do you combat spiritual warfare?" and so forth...

Large knife in hand, I continued cutting away at the chickens and answering every question as honestly and succinctly as possible. I have had much time to think about those questions and I am pretty confident in my answers.... yet my word choices included phrases like "I think, I should, we'll see.." Micheal called me out. He reprimanded me for not speaking truth in confidence and claiming what God has called me to do. "Don't think it, know it, claim it...."

My conversation with Michael was definitely the encouragement and challenge that I needed. The students working with me overheard our discussion and were amazed that I could answer his questions without really thinking twice... so was I to be honest. I am not good with being concise when answering spiritual questions, and I am just now realizing how much God has revealed to me over the last few years.

Later last night, during the group's debriefing, each student was allowed to share how God touched them. I began feeling like I should share my encounter with Michael and encourage the students to know that God is working in them,to know that they are His children and to take the confidence in the truth of the Gospel with them wherever they go. Being a host, I am obviously not a student... so I prayed that if God would have their leader ask for the CSM staff's input so that I could share. Their leader asked, so I did. With a subtle quiver in my voice, I told seventy students what I had learned from a man living in a shelter who loves Jesus just as much if not more than I do... I shared with them the message that I thought- scratch that, I know- that God wanted me to give them.

Another small step in learning how to walk in obedience in spirit and truth... praise God for the conversations, the lessons learned, and the opportunity to share with others.

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Facebook
  • Tweet It! Share On Google Buzz !