If I had a dollar for every time I heard some rendition of the following statement in the last week, [insert a witty continuation of hyperbolic imagery here].

"I haven't seen you in so long. You look so good! You must be doing well! I'm soo happy for you. How are you? Update me on your life!"
If you know me well, you know that I do not take compliments well, especially compliments regarding my physical appearance. Quite frankly, I have large self esteem and body image issues so any compliment regarding how I look is generally taken with skepticism and disdain.  My mental response this week has been no different.

However, my verbal response has consistently been "Thank you! I am doing well..." Even so, I would really like to ask "Why would you say I look good before you even ask how I am? Are you aware that I don't really look good at the moment? Last time I saw you, I was an athlete and now I am out of shape. Furthermore, I am in jeans and a t-shirt with my hair pulled back in a ponytail. Aren't you used to seeing me slightly more put together? And, my allergies are driving me crazy, making my eyes bloodshot and  casting a  drug induced gaze across my face... so excuse me, please explain how I look better than the last time you saw me?"

And, so, I have spent several days pondering this phenomenon. Last night, I had an epiphany:  In their eyes, I do look good. The compliment has little to do with my physical appearance, and everything to do with my disposition.
"whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." - 2 Cor 3: 16-18, NIV.
When God is active in your life, both your character and physical demeanor change to reflect His glory. The freedom of knowing and serving Jesus changes how others perceive you. And that perception should continue to change as we grow in our relationship with Christ and are transformed by His Spirit into His image.

After  a worship service at the Chi Alpha house, one of my friends went to the prayer room to talk with one of the pastors. When she returned about an hour later, her face was glowing, she had a smile larger than I had ever seen, and she just seemed different. I looked at her and knew that she had had an anointed encounter with the Holy Spirit. A simple question confirmed my suspicion, but without her even telling us about her experience with God, her face gave it away. She looked amazing because she had allowed God to enter her life and His presence was reflected in her disposition.
"Nothing between us and God, our faces shining with the brightness of his face. And so we are transfigured much like the Messiah, our lives gradually becoming brighter and more beautiful as God enters our lives and we become like him." - 2 Cor 3:18, The Message.
Considering the amount of spiritual growth I have had in the last three years, I should look good, comparatively. The key word in this translation of this verse is gradually. I still have a long way to go and much growing to do, but my prayer is that God keeps unveiling the person He created me to be- a reflection of Himself. May I always look a little better, a little more like Christ, with every passing year.

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Facebook
  • Tweet It! Share On Google Buzz !