While cleaning out the office this morning, I discovered a prayer journal from when we were doing a weekly 24 hour prayer session in partnership with Campus America in 2009. I flipped open to a page with very familiar handwriting, and smiled as I read my long forgotten prayers.

Since I am still in the process of sorting through backlogged/half written blog entries from this summer, I figured I would share this throwback post in the meanwhile. The sentence in bold really struck me. My hope is that I would have the audacity to write this prayer again.

Truth. What is truth? Sometimes I feel like it is the purpose of this life...  the academic training of the mind...  is to cram our minds with facts, figures, and theories.. to overload our senses... to push past our own understanding to the point where we acknowledge that the truth is nothing more than an abstract - a concept relative to the topic, the situation, the system, and the circumstance. We are told that relativism is the ultimate goal, the ultimate stage in intellectual development is to have an open mind.  If this is the world's version of truth, something distant, unknowable and relative, then I long to be boldly and assertively wrong about absolutely every aspect of life. My truth is not a relative abstract, but a concrete, never changing perfection. The truth is not a what, but a who. And, the only truth I rest my life upon is God. The truth that created the world,  the truth that entered the world to rescue his creation, the truth that  lives within me and walks beside me... the only definition of truth is Christ. Why can't intellectual minds see that?  He is the only thing that makes sense, yet we walk around looking for answers when He is already here. The truth has already been revealed. Why don't we recognize it? Why don't we proclaim it? Why do we make the truth seem like a concept that cannot be grasped when He already has a hold of us?-- written 01/29/09

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Facebook
  • Tweet It! Share On Google Buzz !