To be honest, this week has been a rough one for me. I've found myself in tears a few times.  Again, I'm not sad or depressed or upset.... I just feel a little caged. Like a bird staring through iron bars, I have this desire to fly, but cannot seem to figure out how to open the latch so that I can go free.

Not sure whose tattoo this is, but I love it.
As I was pondering the open skies, I came across a Desiring God post regarding types freedom, and this reflection stuck with me.
And if you have the desire to do something, and the ability to do it, and the opportunity to do it, but it destroys you in the end, you are not fully free—not free indeed.

This insight is part of John Piper's reflection on John 8:36: "If the Son sets you free, you'll be free indeed." What does it mean to be free indeed? I know that the Son set me free, but I still don't feel like I have freedom.

If your idea of freedom is slowly destroying you, it isn't freedom no matter how much you would love to believe that it is. True freedom never pulls you further from who God created you to be , but rather gives you the liberty to fly into His arms.  Freedom is about walking in the will of the Father, through the grace of the Son and by the power of the Holy Spirit. 

I long for that type of freedom. Freedom beyond the desires of my heart, my ability to succeed, and the opportunities before me... freedom to simply be who I am in Christ.
The caged bird sings
with a fearful trill
of things unknown
but longed for still
and his tune is heard
on the distant hill
for the caged bird
sings of freedom.  - Maya Angelou

Praying that God will guide me beyond the restrictions that confine me and into a place where I am truly free to be myself and to be in His presence and to invite others to do the same.

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Facebook
  • Tweet It! Share On Google Buzz !